Home » Posts tagged 'Journal Writing'
Tag Archives: Journal Writing
What is Reflection?
Contemporary educators do not always understood the importance of opportunities for student reflection. Reflection in learning is a kind of feedback loop in which students monitor their own actions and consider the consequences and efficacy of those actions. It requires the ability to look at oneself in an objective way and to consider ways of changing future actions to improve performance. It is largely through reflecting that students acquire important learning skills known as metacognition. Consequently authentic Active Learning activities provide opportunities for reflection.
According to Ridley et al metacognitive skills include
- taking conscious control of learning
- planning and selecting strategies
- monitoring the progress of learning
- correcting errors
- analysing the effectiveness of learning strategies
- changing learning behaviours and strategies when necessary